Want your marketing to:
- Increase your topline revenue and boost profitability?
- Generate more inbound leads and lower sales resistance?
- Make your salespeople more efficient and successful?
- Spur more prospects to choose your business over the competition?
- Increase customer loyalty and retention?
- Enhance your reputation in the industry?
Marketing can help you achieve amazing things in business – but only if you establish the right goals!
As with any business function, you’ll get the best results and ROI from your marketing efforts by starting with a clear plan – one that is well-defined, aligned with your overall business goals, consistently executed, and measurable.
So before you flip the calendar, put on your thinking cap, and gather your team. Use these tips to set marketing goals that will make 2020 a banner year for your business:
- Start with the big picture. When creating a marketing plan, keep your company’s big picture in mind. What are your business’ primary challenges, opportunities, strengths, weaknesses, and threats for the year ahead? What are your top strategic goals? To be effective, your annual marketing plan should complement those overall business objectives.
- Define SMART marketing goals. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound goals have been around for a long time for one simple reason: they work! When defining marketing goals, don’t just describe what you want to do and hope for the best. Put the work in to clearly define what it is you want to achieve – so you’ll know if you “got there” at the end of the year.
- Drill down to the specifics. Once you’ve defined your high-level goals, detail the supporting tactics for each. Enlist your team’s help in specifying measurable tactical goals (including timelines, accountability, and specific action steps) needed to reach each strategic goal. Then, weave those tactical goals into your team’s departmental (and individual) plans for the year. This encourages your staff to develop ownership and accountability for achieving company-wide goals.
- Make your marketing plan a living document. Once you layout your strategy and tactics, use it as a roadmap to guide your activities throughout the year. Revisit your plan with your team each month to review your progress, make sure you’re on the right path, and course-correct when necessary. For example, if you find that a specific tactic is not yielding the results you expected, use what you’ve learned to decide what you can change or improve to achieve your goal.
Need a little help setting 2020 marketing goals?
Establishing the right marketing goals for your business is an important activity, and it helps to have marketing experts’ insight to ensure yours are on target. If you need assistance with any aspect of your company’s marketing – from strategy through execution – give BARQAR’s experts a call today!