When was the last time you checked your web copy?
Did you know that most web users read only 28% of the words on a page?
Now may be a good time to review your website. It should be formatted in a user-friendly way that allows for scanning. Otherwise, your website may not be doing its job of converting prospects to customers.
Here are some key areas to focus on when reviewing your website.
Does your copy have lots of headings?
Headings serve as an informal outline of a page. They summarize the content of the paragraphs and show what the section is about. Headings also show which parts of the content are important and how they are interconnected. Readers can decide whether they want to know more about a topic or move on to another.
Reasons to use headings:
- Show text structure: Headings guide readers and let them know what to expect. Make sure your headings are informative and make the text easier to read.
- Improve SEO: Headings enhance the quality of your website’s text. Because it’s easier to read, visitors are likely to quickly find what they’re looking for. Since search engines analyze people bouncing from your site, the longer they stay, the better your rank. This is why headings and text structure impact your search engine optimization.
Does your copy include bullet points?
Bulleted lists optimize readability. Readers can better understand and store the information.
Why you should use bullet points:
- Grab a reader’s attention: Because your site contains so much information, you need readers to quickly scan it and find what they are looking for. Using bullet points breaks up blocks of text to increase scanning.
- Keep readers engaged: Readers continue moving forward when they find what they want to know. Bulleting your information makes it easy to continue skimming. This draws visitors closer to your call to action.
Are your paragraphs short?
Long paragraphs are difficult to scan. Breaking up the information into smaller chunks makes it easier for readers to digest.
Tips to keep your web copy concise:
- Use plain language: This lets readers find what they want in a short amount of time. They can easily understand it and use it to meet their needs.
- Keep your readers’ tasks in mind: Make sure your copy helps readers accomplish their tasks. Your copy should be findable, actionable and sharable for maximum success.
Are key terms and phrases emphasized?
Bolding, highlighting and other text formats let readers find the relevant information within paragraphs. Pepper keywords and phrases throughout your site to encourage readers to spend more time scanning your information.
Suggestions for emphasizing text:
- Use italics or bold type for the keywords and phrases you want readers to focus on.
- Avoid underlining, using all caps or adding exclamation points to indicate emphasis.
Does your website copy need an update?
Let BARQAR’s team of creative strategists and designers construct a compelling, engaging experience that helps tell YOUR story. Contact us today for a free estimate.