If you are new to search engine optimization (SEO), you may be wondering what backlinks are. Because they can increase traffic to your website, backlinks may play an important role in your SEO strategy.
So, what exactly are backlinks?
Within SEO, backlinks may be referred to as inbound links or external links. They are the links from third-party sources that point to your website.
Along with content, backlinks are one of the most important signals used to rank websites. There are two main reasons why:
Search engines like Google use links as a way to understand the authority of a page. If viewed as the online reputation of a website, a link from Website A to Website B can be a vote that the site is a trustworthy source.
Search engines view backlinks as a vote of popularity for a website. Typically, sites with a higher number of links pointing to them rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). Google trusts backlinks from trusted, authoritative websites over sites that are less trustworthy or unknown.
What are some types of backlinks?
- High authority links come from trusted sources, such as the New York Times, or an established website that has earned trust. When assessing whether a link is high quality, consider its credibility and whether the quality of its content provides real value to users.
- Editorially placed links are where a journalist or webmaster decides to link to another website because it enhances a reader’s experience and deserves traffic and authority.
How does my website earn backlinks?
- If you sell other companies’ products, you can ask your suppliers to link their sites to yours. They should have a “where to buy” page with details and links.
- Share your insight and experience by writing a guest post for an industry publication. They can link their website to yours.
- Get your site posted in industry- and niche-specific directories. Most towns and cities showcase and provide recommendations for relevant companies.
- Monitor your brand mentions for launching a new product/service, hiring a new employee, or being involved in a charity drive. Ask the journalist or editor to include a link to the article.
- Get cited as a resource for creating great content or a great product/service.
Work with a leading Buffalo SEO agency
BARQAR is one of the top SEO companies in Buffalo. We have a team of SEO and content marketing specialists that help companies all across the country. Learn more about our SEO and Content Marketing solutions.