One thing you can bank on for 2021: It’s going to be unpredictable.
As a result, many content marketing experts‘ trend predictions revolve around managing that uncertainty: adapting strategies, tactics and technologies to apply lessons we’ve learned from 2020.
So, what’s around the corner?
Here are 5 content marketing trends to watch in 2021:
- Video marketing gives content a voice. Research from Google shows that 70% of B2B buyers and researchers watch video throughout their buying journey – and that 71% of marketers (including your competitors) have used video content in the past year. The advantages of video are clear: it’s the most viewed content on social media; it boosts SEO (Google LOVES video); and it grabs audiences by the eyeballs. These factors and more make video an ideal choice to add to your content marketing mix.
- Podcasts continue gaining traction. 51% of Americans (144 million people) reported listening to podcasts in 2019, and in 2020 43% of our population over age 12 listened daily to spoken word audio media. Translation? Podcasts have officially entered mainstream media – and listenership will continue to rise in 2021. This medium provides an entirely new lane for:
- Showcasing your team’s expertise and providing a more personalized look inside your organization
- Engaging with current customers – and a wealth of new audiences
- Collaborating with industry leaders, clients, customers and more
- Salespeople become content marketers. The line between sales and marketing continues to blur; more and more sales professionals are becoming content marketers (and digital marketers) out of necessity. As a result, in 2021 we’ll continue to see salespeople being more strategic about their social media presence – sharing both employer-created and curated content on appropriate platforms, and using content at every stage of the sales cycle to engage, inform, persuade and convert.
- Content marketers increase risk tolerance. As change accelerates, customers’ expectations rise and more business is conducted virtually, we’ll see more experimentation and rule breaking in both content and the formats in which it’s presented. 2021 will be a year for thinking big and taking risks to capture the attention, minds and hearts of target audiences.
- Co-marketing takes the spotlight. Cross-promotion has been a staple of content marketing for years (we wrote about influencer marketing earlier this year), but social media has made it easier – and more important – than ever to align with complementary brands, thought-leaders, individuals and even consumers. By developing mutually beneficial partnerships and combining strengths, co-marketing can help businesses dramatically improve their reach, build credibility and harness the power of social proof.
Marketing is evolving faster than ever. BARQAR can keep you ahead of the curve.
Part of our job is staying on top of the trends shaping the world of marketing, to help businesses like yours engage with your audience, amplify your message and grow your bottom line.
Keep an eye on our blog in 2021 for more information on each of these trends and practical ways to leverage them in your organization.