What is “content marketing“?
The words themselves are pretty basic. You have “content,” which means “in a state of peaceful happiness,” and “marketing,” which means “promoting and selling products or services.”
So, “content marketing” must mean “a state of peaceful happiness about promoting and selling products or services.”
Wait – that can’t be right.
If you’re someone who’s heard the term before but isn’t exactly sure what it means, this post is just for you. Today, we’re continuing our blog series that breaks down marketing jargon and ultimately helps you answer this one simple question:
“Is this the right marketing firm for my business?”
Related post: What Is a B2B Marketing Agency?
So, let’s get down to business.
“What is a content marketing agency?”
According to the Content Marketing Institute:
“Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
Whereas traditional marketing uses tools (e.g., commercials, print or digital ads) to pitch messages about your products or services, content marketing provides useful, relevant content to customers and prospects that:
- Adds value. Great content marketing delivers information the intended audience wants to consume.
- Helps them solve their problems.
- Builds interest in your products or services.
- Patiently educates prospects and customers about the value your organization provides.
- Makes your company irresistible to buyers.
How do content marketers accomplish these goals?
Here are a few tools of the trade:
- Blog posts
- Ebooks, whitepapers, case studies and other long-form content
- Subscription-based/opt-in email marketing/e-newsletters
- Visual content: infographics, instructographics, slide decks, videos
- Web pages and landing pages
- Social media posts
To maximize the effectiveness of these content forms as marketing tools, a content marketing agency:
- Builds an overall marketing strategy, based on your business goals.
- Serves up content in the right places, and at the right times, to address consumers’ needs at each stage of the buying cycle (i.e., from initial awareness through post-purchase).
- Attracts, engages and nurtures relationships with prospects and customers.
- Tracks and measures the success of their efforts.
- Refines your content marketing strategy based on metrics and your organization’s changing needs.
Looking for a great content marketing agency?
Give BARQAR (bark-er) a call. Leaders in digital marketing and brand awareness, our team of experts will help you build awareness, drive response and create a healthier bottom line.
What can BARQAR do for you? Contact us today.