A recent survey conducted by Pew Research Center looked at demographics of the users with popular social media platforms. Not surprising, Facebook leads the pack again.
Interesting data on Social Media platform usage:
While we’re not surprised about Facebook’s dominance, here are some interesting stats to point out:
Facebook saw some big changes year over year:
- Men that reported using Facebook made a huge leap from 66% last year to 75% in 2016.
- More adults over 65 are using Facebook as well – jumping up to 62% from 48% last year.
- Facebook is also gaining more ground with adults in rural areas – now accounting for 81% compared to 67% last year.
Instagram takes the #2 spot:
- Instagram gained four percentage points over last year to rank as the second most adopted platform with 32% of the adults in the US using the network.
- There is a huge age disparity with usage: 59% of 18-29 year-olds use the platform but only 8% of those 65+ use it.
Pinterest adoption rates have stalled.
- Out of the top five networks, Pinterest was the only one that didn’t see year-over-year growth–holding steady at 31% usage.
- Pinterest also saw declines in the 18-49 demographics and its only increase was in the 50-64 year-old demographic.
LinkedIn posts strong growth.
- A jump in usage of 4% brings LinkedIn total usage among US adults to 29%.
- The percentage of men using the business networking platform jumped from 26% last year to 31% this year.
- There was also a big jump in 18-29 year-olds, going from 22% last year to 34% in 2016.
Twitter sees limited gains
- Twitter saw very minimal gains this year with 24% of online US adults reporting they use the network.
- The biggest gains were with women (up 4% points over last year to reach 25%) and with 50-64 year-olds (up 8% points to reach 21%).
- Rural Americans were also big Twitter adopters in 2016 reaching 24%.
Looking for Social Media Marketing Solutions for Businesses?
At BARQAR, we help develop social media marketing for businesses in Buffalo and beyond. From custom content creation to social media follower growth, we can help you develop a rich social media marketing strategy that drives results. Contact us today to learn more.